Alcohol-Free Wine: Oxymoron or Not?

Blue_wine_with_ice
Alcohol-Free Wine: Oxymoron or Not?


Every now and then, I get a question from one of my newsletter subscribers about alcohol-free wines. The person is usually interested in them for health or religious reasons. And usually I'm stumped. I don't really evaluate non-alcoholic wines and there certainly haven't been any tasting events for them that I know of. The selection seems limited (and avoid that denatured, gawd-awful stuff in grocery stores called "cooking wine.")

Light, refreshing German rieslings, with just 8-10% alcohol are about as low as I go. (A great one to try: 2006 Dr. Loosen's Dr. L Riesling Q.B.A., Mosel-Saar-Ruwer: This lovely, light-bodied sipper has a bit of sweetness that makes it delicious. 8.5% medium dry $14.95 Score: 88/100.)

I wondered though ...

... if anyone has tried any alcohol-free wines that they've liked? How did they compare to alcoholic wines?

Some studies claim that these wines deliver the same health benefits as those with alcohol ... although the findings are always mixed on these things and can depend on who is sponsoring the research. However, I would think taste is the most important factor in whether or not these wines deliver. What do you think?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, please feel free to share your comment here.
For example: Which pictures is the best?

Thanks,
Admin